Thursday, August 31, 2017

28 February 1905 Letter from Julius H. Spencer to Mrs. Florence Wilson

This was written to Mrs. Florence Wilson (living in Newark) his brother in law's wife.  I am unsure how we have this letter, unless he wrote two, and gave one to Orpha (his sister) - Robert's other wife.  Orpha Spencer my great great grandmother saved a generous handful of letters.  Click here to see all the letters she saved.  Click here for other items that relate to Newark, New Jersey.  Click here for items that relate to St. Louis, MO.  

St. Louis Mo. 2/28/05
Mrs Florence Wilson,
Dear Friend
I received kind & most
welcome letter, glad to
hear from you & glad that
you arrived safely home
I know that you must hafe had
a sorrowful journey home.  I
of loved to seen you off, but
you know how I was -
situated, I thought that
Rob would come back or I would
of went to the train with
you, I see you remember
what I said, about being
Your friend, And I
meant every word I said





                   2
I dont go back on what
I say.. You said that I
was very kind to you
while you were out
here, Well why shouldnt
I of ben, We were both
stung by the same wasp
how I would have loved
to show you more
kindness had it ben
in my power. But you
know how tore up I was
I will send you a copy
of my sisters marriage lisc
license I got them today
you ask me if I know
Robs wherebouts I dont
I havent seen him since
he left the house
I thought possibly he
might, repear and go


               3
back to New York, If I
find out where he is I
will let you know
you ask me if my sister
was still with me she is
But is not feeling very
well, she took it very
hard.  she sends her
regards,  And glad you
arrived safely home
You mentioned me
coming to New York It
is possible, I am figuring
on a position with the
Westing House Air Brake
Co.  And if I get in I will
come to New York and
would be glad to see you



        4
I know that you would
make my stay in New York
as pleasant as possible for
I believe that you are a good
kind hearted woman.  I
dont see how in the world
Rob could have treated
you the way he did.  He
must have a heart of stone
that is if he has any I have
often wondered since I
saw you how he could
left you as he did,
Do you think his folks put
him up to leave you or
did he get old nick in
him, now answer and
let me know if you
get the copy all right
I would of wrote long
ago But I hated to bring

                          5
bring up your troubles
fresh to your memory
again, For the sooner
we forget the sooner
our minds is at ease
now if you will answer
It will please me very
much and if I can find
out where Mr Wilson
is I will surley let
you know his address
for I think it is no more
than my duty I
am ever willing to prove
me self as a friend
I know you have an -
[??????] in getting thoes
papers and if I can-




    6
in any way assist you
I will gladly do so
I hope this will find
you enjoying good health
and hoping to hear from
you soon.  I remain
sincerely your friend
  J. H. Spencer
 6158 Ella Ave
 St. Louis MO























No comments:

Post a Comment