Redondo Beach Historical Timeline
City resources, are really what I want to highlight in this blog. Click here for a link to documents, rosters, images etc.. that have a connection to Redondo Beach. Click here for the list of cities in Los Angeles County. Click here for the list of counties in California.
- To 1850s -The Chowignas were the early residents of Redondo Beach, they lived in Palos Verdes, and their local Look out post was Wilderness Park. There was a salt water lake where the AES Plant stand today. The salt like provided much food, salt, and was a spot where local tribes gathered to trade.
- 1854 The Chowignas were sent to Missions when Manuel Dominguez sold 215 acres to Henry Allanson, and William Johnson to form the Pacific Salt Works. After digging around and many web searches later, it appears, that some of the Chowignas went to San Gabriel Mission.
- Redondo started becoming a tourist destination in the 1880s, Hotel Redondo was completed in 1889, and was luxurious. Moonstone Beach was popular. There was also a Salt Water Plunge.
- The piers had railroad track, and Redondo was a shipping port.
- Lumber was a huge export in Early Redondo.
- 1905 Redondo High was opened.
- In 1915-16 There were big storms that damaged piers, and two of the three piers were removed.
Below are some important events that may have influenced you ancestor's lives.
Some of the Native American Tribes known to inhabit California were the Hupa, Maidu, Pomo, Modic, Mohave, Chowignas, Pimunguns. According to Ereferencedesk there were over 135 distinct language dialects.
1542 The official discovery of California by Spain
1545 Typhus and other European diseases start killing larges amounts of native populations in Cuba, and New Spain
1579 Sir Francis Drake claims some land north of San Francisco for England
1633 - 1634 Small Pox
Spanish missionaries start settling California in the 1700s
1775 - 1783 Revolutionary War
1776 Declaration of Independence signed
1793 Yellow Fever
1812 Russian fur traders build Fort Ross just north of San Francisco
1820 American Trappers start arriving from the East
1820 - 1875 Texas - Indian Wars
1821 Mexico gained independence from Spain
1832 - 1866 Cholera
1846 - 1848 Mexican - American War
1848 California is ceded to the United States by Mexico
1849 The Gold Rush begins
1850 California becomes the 31st State
1858 Scarlet Fever
1861-1864 The Civil War
1862 The Great Floods
1863 Emancipation Proclamation
1877 Jim Crow Law enacted till 1950s
1882 The Chinese Exclusion Act
1898 the American Anti-Imperialist League formed
1900 Oil discovered in California
1905 Japanese and Korean Exclusion league formed in California and gained 80,000 + members
1906 San Francisco Earthquake and fires
1906 - 1907 Typhoid
1910 Angel Island opens (West Coast’s Ellis Island)
1913 California Alien Land Law
1914 - 1918 WWI
1915 - 1955 Polio Outbreaks
1918 - 1919 Spanish Flu Pandemic
1920 ACLU founded
1920 Women get the right to vote
1920 - 1933 Prohibition
1921 - 1925 Diphtheria Outbreaks
1924 United States gives citizenship to some Native Americans
1929 Beginning of the Great Depression
1933 The Long Beach Earthquake
1939 - 1945 WWII
1941 Pearl Harbor
1942 President Roosevelt Signed Executive Order 9066 (Feb)1942 General Dewitt issued Public Proclamation No. 1(Mar, internment camps)
Pacific Crest Cemetery Established 1902
Random Redondo information, images, documents, directories etc..